Friday, November 21, 2008

Breakfast with a two-year-old

Harry is a really good eater, starting about lunchtime. However, getting him to eat in the mornings can be a challenge, and I'm not usually organized enough in the morning to have predetermined choices laid out for him. This morning at our house, for instance:

Me: Harry, here are the last of the berries. What else would you like to eat this morning?

Harry: Want breakfast.

Me: Good! Do you want Kix? (no response) Cheerios? (crickets chirping) Oatmeal?

Harry: Oatmeal! Yes.

Me: (after making oatmeal with brown sugar) Here you go!

Harry: (wrinkles nose)

Me: Sniff it.

Harry: (sniff, sniff, turns head away)

Me: Would you please lick it?

Harry: (lick, yuck face, pushes spoon away)

Me: (giving up and going with the old standby) Do you want a cheese sandwich?

Harry: Yes!

Me: (getting cheese) Do you want an English muffin or regular bread?

Harry: (no answer, which usually means "neither one, thanks")

Me: Do you just want the cheese by itself?

Harry: Yes. (I hand Harry the piece of cheese. He hands it back to me) You eat it.

Me: No, I don't want it. Oh - we have some French bread. Do you want a slice of that with the cheese on it?

Harry: Yes! (takes open-faced sandwich happily, eats the cheese off the top... and hands the bread back to me)

*****

On the other hand, we have exchanges like the following. I was making dinner a few nights ago and he was in the kitchen with me:

Me: I love you, Harry.

Harry: I love you, too. You're cute.

*****

He likes the song "Mary Had A Little Lamb" (which in our house is called the Lamb Song). I was singing it and about halfway through...

Harry: It's not the lamb's shirt. It's my shirt!

Me: Shirt? I'm not sure what you mean.

Harry: Not the lamb's shirt! It's Harry's shirt!

Me: OOOOHHHHhhh - you mean the part where it says "everywhere that Mary went, the lamb was *SURE T*o go?"

Harry: Yes. Harry's shirt.

:)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is why Mersch is only an aunt.

Here's how the conversation would go with Auntie Mersch:

Me: Harry, here are the last of the berries. What else would you like to eat this morning?

Harry: Want breakfast.

Me: Good! Do you want Kix? (no response) Cheerios? (crickets chirping) Oatmeal?

Harry: Oatmeal! Yes.

Me: (after making oatmeal with brown sugar) Here you go!

Harry: (wrinkles nose)

Me: Hey, cool trick. Now, unless you can "Bewitch" that into a new breakfast, go ahead get started on your oatmeal that you chose. If it's too hot, let me know.

Maybe I just take after Dad (said reverently), but I would go crazy if everything took that long. Mornings are hard enough already! ;)

Kaylin said...

Yeah, I know... and I'm usually better prepared with answers, but mornings are particularly tough because I'm not at my best! But the exchange this morning just tickled my funnybone. :)