I don't think it is wrong to want a solo or anything else that means someone else doesn't get it. I also don't think it's wrong to hope that you don't have to compete for something more than once or even once. Sounds normal to me!
My philosophy in a nutshell is dare, care, and share. If you don't dare you don't even know what might be possible. If you fail, so what? Most others forget if they ever knew. A little failure helps with the humility thing, but the trick is just enough humility and not too much. Let me know if you solve that one!
If you don't really want something and getting it knocks someone else out of the running, that's the time to think hard about whether to try for it or not. I don't much like competition. Some thrive on it. Still, I wouldn't feel guilty competing for something someone else wants also.
To really care about someone or something enriches you. Sharing what you care about enriches others. I wish you both.
I hope you get the part you want. And I think it's great you feel good about your audition. You have a great voice. I don't. It's good for me to be humble about that. Mom
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thanks, Mom! I don't really go for competition, but if I "win" something that I had to compete for, I do tend to value it more.
Either way, though, I think that these solos are opportunities for me to get more and more practice as, well, a soloist. It's uncomfortable for me because it's such a direct observation, and singing is very personal, but I think that's why it's ultimately rewarding too. It feels risky.
So, in addition to wanting the honor of having been chosen, and the enjoyment of the actual singing of the thing, I'm also looking at it as repeated exposure to a fear I'm trying to overcome.
"...the trick is just enough humility and not too much." HAHAHA!! :D
You have some great points, Mom! I like your philosophy, especially the "dare" part - I tend to not have a lot of patience with people who really want something but never get beyond talking about it.
Post a Comment