Thursday, September 25, 2008

La Traviata

I got to go to the Portland Opera's dress rehearsal of La Traviata last night with my voice teacher (who's 2 years older than me and really cool). She got tickets from a friend of hers who is in the Opera chorus, so I got to go for free. I've never seen La Traviata, and that was a treat, but it was also great to have a combination of the experience of seeing it with the added bonus of it being almost, but not quite show-time. It was interesting to see some lighting be screwy, to have the house be mostly empty, and to be able to have conversations about it with my teacher without fear of bothering people nearby - no one was really within earshot of us. The set was really lovely, there was a great baritone, and afterward, we went out for a drink and a nosh with her friend in the chorus. I enjoyed the opportunity to talk shop with other singers and meet someone who has a day job but gets to moonlight with opera too. But it was a late night and I am really tired today. I'm really glad there's only one day left in the workweek!

1 comment:

woodarty said...

Great to hear about your experience. Never thought about the treat of being able to communicate and watch a performance at the same time. Love, Mom